Jolts--Daily Affirmations from God's Word

These Jolts are daily devotionals that show who you are in Christ, what God thinks about you, and how you can grow in the Lord and His word.

Friday, May 11, 2007

5-11-07 Psalms 18:4, 5

Psalms 18: 4, 5 (NIVUS)
The cords of death entangled me; the torrents of destruction overwhelmed me. The cords of the grave coiled around me; the snares of death confronted me.

Psalms 18: 4, 5 (NLT)
The ropes of death surrounded me; the floods of destruction swept over me. The grave wrapped its ropes around me; death itself stared me in the face.

Psalms 18: 4, 5 (NRSV)
The cords of death encompassed me; the torrents of perdition assailed me; the cords of Sheol entangled me; the snares of death confronted me.





When an animal is caught in a snare, often the more it struggles to get free, the tighter the bonds become. Since the beginning of time, Satan, the enemy of God and the souls of men, has thrown out ropes and snares of sorrow and destruction. Mankind has been caught. Even though each one twists and writhes in pain, seeking freedom, he is drawing the noose tighter. Ruin and destruction is always on the horizon.

Perhaps you feel that you are surrounded by death. Worthless and ungodly men have trapped you in a narrow valley that is flooded with winter torrents. And you are afraid and terrified. It may seem that hell and its inmates are at your very borders. Wickedness is revolving and whirling about you, trying to trap you in its snare and to put a hook in your nose. It seems that you are being prevented from following your course and you have faced many disappointments.

At these times, you should look to Jehovah the Lord, who is your Shield and Buckler. He will surround you with His favor and your enemies will not be able to breakthrough God's defenses. He will turn your fear into courage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License.