Jolts--Daily Affirmations from God's Word

These Jolts are daily devotionals that show who you are in Christ, what God thinks about you, and how you can grow in the Lord and His word.

Sunday, March 04, 2007

3-4-07 Job 42:5, 6

Job 42:5, 6 (KJ21)
I have heard of Thee by the hearing of the ear, but now mine eye seeth Thee. Therefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes.

Job 42:5, 6 (NAS)
I have heard of Thee by the hearing of the ear; But now my eye sees Thee; Therefore I retract, And I repent in dust and ashes

Job 42:5, 6 (NIVUS)
My ears had heard of you but now my eyes have seen you. Therefore I despise myself and repent in dust and ashes

Job 42:5, 6 (NLT)
I had heard about you before, but now I have seen you with my own eyes. I take back everything I said, and I sit in dust and ashes to show my repentance.




Very few people can say that they have seen God with their physical eyes. Those who were alive when the Lord Jesus Christ walked the earth are long gone. Sometimes, however, the Lord will make a special appearance to an individual in a vision or dream, but even these instances are rare and far between. Perhaps in His mercy, the Lord refrains from revealing Himself, for most of us could not stand in His presence in our fleshly, human bodies.

Although some disagree with this, Job was a righteous man, who did have faith in God. You might think that his faith came because he walked with Adonai, the Almighty, the way that Adam and Eve did in the Garden of Eden. However, Job himself states how he obtained his faith. His faith was generated from the reports he heard of the Lord. The Lord uncovered Job's ears, so that he could receive divine revelation. As Job listened and understood more of God, he chose to obey Him. He consented and agreed to the laws of the Most High. He yielded to God's will for his life and he proclaimed his faith to others.

Perhaps through a vision or through a divine appearance a time came when Job did see God. He perceived the Lord's presence and what he was shown changed him forever. No longer was he smug and self-righteous, but he saw himself as he truly was. Without God's mercy, Job knew he was despised and rejected. Compared to the Lord, he knew he was refuse and he wanted to run from the presence of the Lord. However, instead of fleeing in terror, Job repented in sorrow, covering himself with dust and ashes, for he saw his worthlessness. Then he received comfort and compassion from the Most High. God turned his grief into consolation.

Like Job, you may have seen a true vision of yourself. You know that without the Lord's love and compassion, you are ruined and will perish. The Lord, however, is still merciful and compassionate. As you, like Job, turn to away from your sin and turn to God in repentance, you will receive the comfort and consolation of the Lord.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License.