Jolts--Daily Affirmations from God's Word

These Jolts are daily devotionals that show who you are in Christ, what God thinks about you, and how you can grow in the Lord and His word.

Sunday, February 25, 2007

2-25-07 Proverbs 4: 3, 4

Proverbs 4:3, 4 (KJ21)
For I was my father’s son, tender and only beloved in the sight of my mother. He taught me also and said unto me, "Let thine heart retain my words: keep my commandments and live."

Proverbs 4:3, 4 (NAS)
When I was a son to my father, Tender and the only son in the sight of my mother, Then he taught me and said to me, "Let your heart hold fast my words; Keep my commandments and live;"

Proverbs 4:3, 4 (NIVUS)
When I was a boy in my father’s house, still tender, and an only child of my mother, he taught me and said, "Lay hold of my words with all your heart; keep my commands and you will live."

Proverbs 4:3, 4 (NLT)
For I, too, was once my father’s son, tenderly loved by my mother as an only child. My father told me, "Take my words to heart. Follow my instructions and you will live."





As time has progressed, people have discovered that younger children can learn things that used to seem too difficult for their age. Introducing a second language is now done at the elementary level and even the pre-school level. Children are also becoming familiar with the uses of computers at very early ages. This is not really a new concept, for the Bible has already taught this.

Solomon, the son of Israel's King David and his wife Bathsheba, is the author of the book of Proverbs. In this book, he tells us that at a tender age, when he was still soft, weak, and timid and spending much of his time in his mother's sight, that his parents starting teaching him godly principles.

Like shooting arrows at a target, the words that David spoke to his son were sharply pointed and aimed at directing Solomon's life. David wanted Solomon to take these commandments into his heart, so that they would lodge in his understanding. Solomon needed to think and reflect upon these principles and commit them to his memory. As he did this, he found that they influenced his inclination, resolution, and determination. They also acted as guides to his conscience.

David wanted Solomon to grasp and hold onto these teachings, for he knew that they would always support him. David knew that if Solomon would keep and guard these commandments in his heart, then he would sustain his life. He would prosper, living continually in restoration and health. God's word would always revive him from sickness and discouragement and he would continue to grow and breathe.

Therefore, if you are a parent, choose to follow David's example with Solomon. Do not hesitate to begin to teach your very young children the things of the Lord. You will not be disappointed if you do this, for God's words will always bring them back to center. They will never depart from the faith.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License.