Jolts--Daily Affirmations from God's Word

These Jolts are daily devotionals that show who you are in Christ, what God thinks about you, and how you can grow in the Lord and His word.

Saturday, October 07, 2006

10-07-06 Lamentations 3: 55-57

Lamentations 3: 55-57 (KJ21)
I called upon Thy name, O LORD, out of the low dungeon. Thou hast heard my voice: "Hide not Thine ear at my breathing, at my cry. Thou drewest near in the day that I called upon Thee; Thou saidst, "Fear not."

Lamentations 3: 55-57 (NAS)
I called on Thy name, O LORD, Out of the lowest pit. Thou hast heard my voice, "Do not hide Thine ear from my prayer for relief, from my cry for help." Thou didst draw near when I called on Thee; Thou didst say, "Do not fear!"

Lamentations 3: 55-57 (NIVUS)
I called on your name, O LORD, from the depths of the pit. You heard my plea: "Do not close your ears to my cry for relief.” You came near when I called you, and you said, "Do not fear."

Lamentations 3: 55-57 (NLT)
But I called on your name, LORD, from deep within the well, and you heard me! You listened to my pleading; you heard my weeping! Yes, you came at my despairing cry and told me, "Do not fear."



Have you ever heard a news report in which one person was accosted by another? The word accost shows you that the meeting was not a friendly one, but one that could have involved anger and violence. It definitely was not a casual meeting, but a forceful one. Did you know that God uses this word as a definition of calling upon Jehovah? Of course, you can do no violence to Adonai or His Kingdom, but God does not get upset when you forcefully bring your case before His throne.

There are, however, gentler ways to approach the Most High. You can cry out, calling the Lord by name. When you wish to have an encounter with the Lord your God, you can simply invite Him to be your guest. If the church as a whole needs to meet with God, then a published proclamation may the best way of bringing you together. At all times, you should honor God's authority and character; you should not come before Him with a flippant attitude, but one of respect.

When you are in the lowest depths, then you should cry out to the Almighty. If you believe you are on the bottom, locked in a dungeon, then lift your voice to call loudly upon the Lord. This is a good time for you to accost the throne of God, for from there your help will come. You can be sure that Adonai will hear you. You will certainly get His attention, for He knows the sound of your voice. Whether you sing, whisper, or yell, God will hear you. He will not hide Himself from you. He is not blind to your needs. His ear will give you audience; He can even distinguish your very breath. Therefore, do not hesitate to cry to the Lord; you have the freedom to seek His help in trouble.

When you call to Jehovah, He will come near. He will offer His hand to you to draw you out of the pit. He will take His stand joining Himself to you. He will make you ready to produce, no matter what circumstances you are in. When He offers His help, be quick to take it. Do not fear His approach, for He is your Savior and Deliverer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License.