Jolts--Daily Affirmations from God's Word

These Jolts are daily devotionals that show who you are in Christ, what God thinks about you, and how you can grow in the Lord and His word.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

7-5-06 Acts 22:28

Acts 22:28 (KJ21)
And the chief captain answered, "With a great sum I obtained this freedom." And Paul said, "But I was free born."

Acts 22:28 (NAS)
And the commander answered, "I acquired this citizenship with a large sum of money." And Paul said, "But I was actually born a citizen."

Acts 22:28 (NIVUS)
Then the commander said, "I had to pay a big price for my citizenship." "But I was born a citizen," Paul replied.

Acts 22:28 (NLT)
"I am, too," the commander muttered, "and it cost me plenty!" "But I am a citizen by birth!"



Most people diligently strive to better their lots in life. They struggle to live the life-style of the rich and famous. Often instead of being born into the status and position, they try to buy their way. It was no different during biblical times.

The Apostle Paul was confronted with this very situation. A commander of thousands of soldiers spoke to Paul of how he had gained his rank and power. He had to pay a great sum of money to acquire what he had, a Roman citizenship which gave him a freedom that others did not possess. Paul, however, possessed his citizenship naturally; he was born a Roman. In this he had many benefits and the protection.

Like Paul, you have been born again into the family of God. You did not have to pay anything for your citizenship. Jesus Christ, God's only begotten Son, paid the price. Through His blood you were adopted. Now you have the freedom and liberty of a son in the household of your Father!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License.