Jolts--Daily Affirmations from God's Word

These Jolts are daily devotionals that show who you are in Christ, what God thinks about you, and how you can grow in the Lord and His word.

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

I Should Not Be Alive!

A friend of mine shared with me this morning that he had heard that there is a new program on the Discovery Channel, called "I Shouldn't Be Alive." or something along those lines. Well, I could be a guest on that show, because something happened to me 20 years ago that should have killed me.

Back in 1986 when I lived in Tulsa, OK, I had to have a hysterectomy due to a large fibroid tumor. The amazing thing in this story is that 2 weeks before my scheduled surgery, on a Sunday or Monday night, my appendix burst. Even though I left work the next day and went to the hospital with severe pain, after some tests, which did not reveal my burst appendix, I was sent home with muscle relaxers.

The following Saturday, I went to a production at the Mabee Center at Oral Roberts University. To get to your seat in the Mabee Center, you have to walk down steep steps. After walking down those steps, I started experiencing pain again. When I walked back up the steps, at the end of the program, I almost passed out. A friend took me to the City of Faith hospital, which was right across the street.

Every time I stood up, my blood pressure went down. The doctors thought that I was bleeding in the tumor, which is not unusual, I guess. Anyway, they sent me home to bedrest, until my surgery scheduled for the next Friday. I had to eat a lot of liver that week to build up my blood. By the time I went to the hospital, I had bled so much that they had to give me 4 units of blood, before I could have surgery.

When they finally performed the surgery, they discovered my burst appendix from the 2 weeks before. I had a burst appendix with the accompanying poison and infection from that and I was bleeding internally--2 fatal conditions--and yet the Lord kept me sovereignly alive for those two weeks and for the most part, I did not even realize that I was that sick. Even though the doctors thought the tumor, which weighed five pounds, put pressure on my appendix to burst it, they also thought that it was what kept me alive because the poison from the appendix was absorbed into the tumor. Isn't God amazing?

I need to remember this story often, when I think things are hard now. How much worse could they get than what happened to me in 1986?

If you find yourself in a life threatening or devastating situation today, turn your eyes and heart to the Lord God. He loves you and will take care of you. The Bible says that He is no respecter of persons, which means that He does not just reserve His blessings for certain special people. God wants to bless your life and help you. Just let Him!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License.